Cross roads

By way of introduction I am Dr. Vispi Jokhi, presently serving as Medical Director of Masina Hospital. The journey to this position is a result of choices made at various crossroads in life wherein the choices I made led me to what I am. 

In school at Don Bosco Matunga, my vocational guidance aptitude test indicated that I was suited to enter the field of humanities and should pursue Social sciences. In those days under  peer and parental pressure I chose to become a doctor as that was the thing to do and I became an Orthopedic Surgeon. I had inspirational teachers who taught me to care rather than cure and I started enjoying my work. I loved teaching and when an opportunity came my way I became an Associate Professor of Orthopedics. I am conservative and operate only when required. I am particularly happy treating the common man and the poor rather than the rich and famous. 

I married in 1989 and in 1990 my wife Daisy and me were blessed with our daughter Delna. Delna is a special child with an extra love chromosome, (born with Down’s Syndrome). At this juncture Daisy and I chose to convert this adversity to an opportunity and we considered ourselves as the chosen ones to give Delna the life she deserves. Today, Delna has blossomed into young working adult with an ability to give unconditional love to all who come in contact with her. The desire to share my life experience and help others to deal with perceived adversity led me to join hands with like minded persons and create Ahura Support a parent support group for families of children with special needs. Our dream of creating a Residential home for differently abled in the city of Mumbai has been fulfilled at Masina Hospital campus. Delna’s presence in my life taught me lessons in patience, empathy and inspired me to look beyond my circle and reach out to others. 

In personal life inspired by the life of Mahatma Gandhi I chose to become a secular, religious, non violent liberal person. My veganism and love for Yoga and meditation came as natural choices of life style. Green practices, and purposeful living are things I hold dear and at all the places i work we have tried to bring these ideas into practice.  

In 2013-14, I started realizing that I wanted to expand my canvas and yet was not prepared to change my career completely. I had an idea of trying to pursue hospital administration and decided to join Tata Institute of Social Sciences and train myself for the same. Looking at it as a career option, the  work opportunity came in the form of leading Masina Hospital. My job is to revive and make the hospital sustainable. It is a challenging job and I am enjoying it. The path is long and arduous but I have the confidence and support of my trustees and I am thoroughly committed to my work.



I do not think I am qualified to advise the youth but I can just say one thing that there are crossroads in life and the choices you make determine what you become. Have a purpose in life and listen to your heart and you will get what you deserve. Life has turned a full circle and my vocational aptitude teacher guessed right when she said I should join Tata Institute of Social Sciences. Today I am an alumni of the Tata Institute of Social sciences learning Healthcare Quality Management. Keep learning and evolving for change is the only constant in life. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Burjor Antia at age 90

Austerity????

Display of Emotions, Sign of Weakness or Strength?