Dr. Parvez Dara Hakim

 Dr. Parvez Hakim is no more and quietly left this world on August 9, 2024. It may be a coincidence but at around 10pm on the same day I was about to write a blog on medical ethics.  I was composing my thoughts on the content and the part that role models play in shaping medical ethics came as a key part of my experience. The name of Dr. Hakim came as one of the most important mentors I had in shaping my medical values and ethics. 


Coming to Dr Hakim the person, teacher and the surgeon he can be described as gentlest of gentlemen. A man of few words but mind you he never lacked in expression. I can only say that his few words were extremely effective and conveyed perfectly what needed to be spoken. He was witty and had a ready repartee at all times. As a teacher we needed to learn from him and he taught by example. He was a textbook surgeon and was always unhurried and perfect, he would achieve perfect hemostasis (control of bleeding) after every step. We residents used to joke that Dr Hakim would catch RBC’s. His 3 dimensional sense was excellent and in the olden days when C arm image intensifier imaging was unavailable he was able to place the guide wires and judge sizes perfectly in just one or the rare second attempt. In the days when surgery was not so safe he was a master of conservative treatment and achieved excellent results. As residents who were keen on operating he would never allow us to do surgery if it was avoidable. In fact if there was a borderline case where we tried to convince him that conservative treatment was failing in our hands and we wanted to operate, he would tell us to give him a chance to reduce the fracture and we knew that he would never fail to achieve a good reduction. He was very good in clinical examination and as a bedside clinician he was as perfect in eliciting clinical findings as was his surgery. 

I remember the first few months when I started private practice in Mumbai at Parsee General Hospital when I was struggling to earn a living he called me to assist him with a few surgeries and without my knowledge he had shared his professional fees and given me assistant charges. While I do also recollect that one of my first cases in PGH was a case of a loose Austin Moore prosthesis for an old hip fracture which was operated in the past by Dr. Hakim. For some reason the patient didn’t want to go back to him despite my persuading them to do so. Finally, I was compelled to operate on the patient. I informed Dr Hakim about the same. I requested him to take over the case, but he dissuaded me and advised me that I was no longer his subordinate and I was his colleague and he was my well wisher. He actually ensured that without the patient's knowledge, he came to the operation theatre gave me a hand and guided me to perform the difficult surgery. Thus he ensured that I was successful and there was no embarrassment caused to all concerned. I do not think this would happen in the present day. 

He had a pleasing and charming smile and was handsome and almost looked like a Hollywood star. He was aristocrat in his tastes but simple and spartan in his attire. He was a charmer to the core and I am sure that in his youth he must have bowled many a maiden over. His wife Dr. Piloo Hakim survives him and they both made such a great pair. She remained the support and companion till the last few years of his life especially as he was ailing and had many hospitalisations. 

Let me say one thing that while the old must make way for young, we were fortunate to have Dr. Hakim as a role model and I have no hesitation in saying that we do not get such personalities today. These personalities were a rare breed. Dr. Hakim will have a special place in my heart and I will always value and cherish the manner in which he taught me mentored me. While I offer my condolences to Madam Dr. Piloo Hakim, Dr. Arnaz and Dr. Phiroze, I think Dr. Hakim will always remain alive in our hearts and in the hearts of countless patients, colleagues friends and all who were privileged to be associated with him. May his soul Rest in Peace. 

Dr. Vispi Jokhi

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lovely words, to describe the Man we most respectfully called SIRee!!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful and moving homage, to a great soul!
V Shukla said…
What a wonderful obituary and remembrance to a your Mentor . Lessons of leadership and humanity . Gratitude to you. Hold him deep in your heart . Such people a rare in our connections in ones life God Bless
V Shukla said…
Your Epilogue and memories is a great testimony to a a wonderful human and doctor who has been your guide and mentor . Such people are rare . He was a great humanist and leader . Our respects
Anonymous said…
Yes excellent surgeon n lovely person.
Anonymous said…
Yes excellent surgeon n lovely person.
Anonymous said…
He would deliver a joke with serious expression on his face. It would take us few seconds to catch the humour. Always very courteous and well dressed surgeon.

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother Piroja H. Jokhi : A life Well lived!!!

Dr. Burjor Antia at age 90